Laura Spitzfaden, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, provides in-home visits for breastfeeding support in Lansing, Michigan and surrounding communities. A home visit by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant is the quickest way to get help with your breastfeeding difficulties.
To prepare for a home visit, it is best for your baby to not be too hungry or too full. Please ensure that your baby will want to have a typical feed within 1/2 hour of arrival. If your baby is very hungry within 1/2 hour before the scheduled consult, offer a partial feed. Also, be sure that you are well fed and well hydrated and be as well rested as possible.
If your baby is currently supplemented with expressed breastmilk or formula, please have a small amount of supplement available during the consult. If using formula, please have ready-to-feed infant formula available.
If you want assistance with milk expression, please have your equipment available.
The Lactation Consult home visit lasts about 2 hours and includes
- Assembling a thorough health history about you and your baby
- Listening to your concerns about breastfeeding
- A pre and post-feed weighing to determine intake
- A physical assessment, of you and your baby, that focuses on any issues that may affect breastfeeding
- Observation of a complete feed
- Instruction on latch, positioning, hand expression, electric pump use and milk storage, if needed
- Provision of printed handouts that address breastfeeding issues
- Development of a care plan designed to meet your personal breastfeeding goals—I will help you to develop an individualized plan that works for your specific needs and lifestyle
- A comprehensive report that will be sent to your health care provider
- Follow-up phone or e-mail consultations (included in initial fee) or return visits (extra fees) if necessary
- A commitment to continued follow-up until you are satisfied with your breastfeeding relationship
$170 for initial consult and follow-up*. $255 for twins. Discounts and payment plans provided for parents with incomes up to 185% of the federal poverty level.
Travel fees may apply if the consult takes place more than 30 miles from my home.
*Ongoing phone and e-mail follow-up is included in the initial fee. In person follow-up visits are $120 and $180 for twins.
Lactation consultant fees may be reimbursed by the family’s insurance provider. I will provide a superbill so the family may submit a claim for insurance reimbursement.
The cost of a lactation consultant is minimal when compared with the cost of artificial feeding.