A home visit by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant is the quickest way to get help with your breastfeeding difficulties.
To prepare for a home visit, it is best for your baby to not be too hungry or too full. Also, be sure that you are well fed and well hydrated and be as well rested as possible.
The Lactation Consult home visit lasts about 2 hours and includes
- Assembling a thorough health history about you and your baby
- Listening to your concerns about breastfeeding
- A pre and post-feed weighing to determine intake
- A physical assessment, of you and your baby, that focuses on any issues that may affect breastfeeding
- Observation of a complete feed
- Instruction on latch, positioning, hand expression, electric pump use and milk storage, if needed
- Provision of printed handouts that address breastfeeding issues
- Development of a care plan designed to meet your personal breastfeeding goals—I will help you to develop an individualized plan that works for your specific needs and lifestyle
- A comprehensive report that will be sent to your health care provider
- Follow-up phone or e-mail consultations (included in initial fee) or return visits (extra fees) if necessary
- A commitment to continued follow-up until you are satisfied with your breastfeeding relationship
$170 for initial consult and follow-up. $255 for twins. Discounts and payment plans provided for parents with incomes up to 185% of the federal poverty level.
Travel fees may apply if the consult takes place more than 30 miles from my home.
Ongoing phone and e-mail follow-up is included in the initial fee. In person follow-up visits are $120.
Lactation consultant fees may be reimbursed by the family’s insurance provider. I will provide a superbill so the family may submit a claim for insurance reimbursement.
The cost of a lactation consultant is minimal when compared with the cost of artificial feeding.